08 October 2008

Alive and well!

(And in an internet cafe, so I'll try to keep this brief...)
Everything went well, everything went (basically) according to plan, and both plane rides were ontime - the first a few minutes early. I found my Yotel (thank God!) and was able to order my train tickets, take a very long, hot shower, and take a nap. From there, an AirRail trip, onto a train to Penzance (from which I departed at Reading [Redding] ), then a quick connect to another train to Bournemouth, finally a quick little taxi ride to my room at Bourne Chambers. I got a quick "Here's your keys", then was left on my own - my room is actually quite a bit larger than I expected - I'm quite delighted with it. :) (Pictures to come when my new battery charger is done) I went out to get my HSBC account opened, only to discover that I hadn't brought quite the right paperwork with me. So, I went back home and - after a few minutes of unpacking, then saying "Aw, screw it", went to bed at 430. (Before I get ahead of myself, there was an issue with the front door buzzer - namely, it didn't work. I had to buzz the other rooms, until I finally found someone who was in who could come get me) Around 1100, I heard a knock on the door and opened it to meet Patrick, Mia, and Julia (the girl who let me in earlier, who unfortunately was in because she has the Fresher's Flu and has been coughing blood) - all are acting students at AIB, and gave me a hearty welcome (as well as an impromtu reading from the phone book by Patrick), then invited me up to the lounge to watch "Young Frankenstein". I'm (obviously) in a good crowd. We grabbed Kieran on the top floor, then a few more wafted in and out, though by that point my brain was entirely fried and, whilst I can remember having a great time, I don't really remember a lot of it. :) Came back down and slept until noon today, when I wandered out to do some random wandering, as well as my first shopping expedition (with only two hands, I can only carry so much, so I need to pace myself) - this was for basics around the house (toilet paper, toothpaste [they confiscated mine at SeaTac! Who knew toothpaste was a liquid?!). I'm still looking for a grocery store... hmm... Unfortunately, I'm going to need an internet cable which they mention in my various school brochures are "available" - however, I suspect that means "available from the IT desk on the school campus" - where I'll be venturing tomorrow. So, I decided that, post-shopping, I would either need to find a place that sells phonecards or an internet cafe, to let everyone know I'm still alive and well.
My plan for tomorrow is to find the campus, get that cord, and (should the weather still be beautiful - it's a bit chilly, but gorgeously sunny - I took a quick jaunt down to the beach [which is just a really, really short walk away] and it is absolutely GORGEOUS! I think the closest comparison I can give is Cannon Beach, but it's also within the context of being next to a massive park of beautifully kept lawns, an aviary, art gallery, theatre on the pier, and... a mini golf course. (Woot) There's a seriously adorable little carousel on the pier-area that was playing "Get Me to the Church" as I walked past. If the weather is as pretty tomorrow, I'll try to go wandering about and get pictures. For Kristi - the town itself reminds me of the shopping areas of Cambridge.
Anywho, should be back online from the privacy of my own room tomorrow, when I can give a more detailed update without watching the clock. Lots of love!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Delighted to get the update!
Love you lots

Mom & Dad

strangekaty said...

Sounds like fun roomies! Are you the only Yank? As for banks, groceries, and internet, I sympathize entirely. Well, once the internet is ok the other two are easier.

I've lost about 10 lbs carrying my own groceries. Personally recommend a back pack or one of those little 2-wheel carts that the old ladies have. Is there a market day in Bournemouth? If so I highly recommend using that-- usually very cheap and never boring (and they have those carts there). Enjoy!